Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Inner Banter, a short story.

Side Note: This is a peek into my ‘unique’ mentality. Since music is my life, every single one of my blogs will have a song, regardless of whether or not it actually relates to my writing.

Headphones. One item that I cannot live without! I’ve stated this already. Without my headphones, I cannot listen to my iPod. Without my iPod, I die. Again, humor, people. I won’t actually implode, although, that would be a somewhat interesting sight to see.

Headphones. I should have bought the more expensive ones. Instead, I got the ten dollar ones from PC Richard’s, thinking that they would suffice. I am a broke college student, after all.

Lucky for me, I have a spare set. I settled for these, in case of an emergency such as this, but I’m still frustrated. They’re pink. Pink and I have a love/hate relationship and right now, pink, I loathe you.

I want my cool ass purple headphones with the ear buds that I could discretely place in my ear and listen to my iPod while driving. Dangerous (and probably illegal), I know. I don’t jump out of airplanes with nothing but a parachute to save me, but this is how I choose to live my life on the edge.

I look on a website, in search some fuck awesome headphones, only to find that they’ll cost $34.95 (plus shipping and handling.) Shit, man. I won’t get to enjoy the vocal genius that is Ella Fitzgerald the way I want to. I want to have her belting out notes into my ear drums. Her version of ‘Misty’ is my addiction. It’s a sad, sad day when an addict gets cut off, cold turkey. As I’ve learned in nursing, getting cut off so abruptly as I have is fatal…

Damn, stupid headphones. You’re killing my soul. Next time I should spring for the expensive ones. I’ll go back to working as a waitress at that crappy diner down the block if it means I get to listen to the First Lady* with noise reduction.
-----------------------------------------

* “First Lady of Song,” one nickname for Ella Fitzgerald.

"...There was a quality to her voice that fascinated me, and I'd sing along with her, trying to catch the subtle ways she shaded her voice, the casual yet clean way she sang the words."
-- Doris Day
------------------------------------------

Song that inspired this blog: 'Misty' - Ella Fitzgerald
"Look at me,
I'm as helpless
as a kitten up a tree."

No comments:

Post a Comment