Monday, March 22, 2010

Nostalgia

I walked down the streets around me, they seemed foreign and unfamiliar. It was sunny all the time and people were friendly; too friendly. It was eerie the way they'd always greeted me with wide, open smiles, showing off their overly whitened teeth. They were so white that they took on a slight shade of blue.

All of them looked the same. Tan, blonde, UGG's and North Face jackets. Normally, jackets and boots would earn a look of astonishment... It was always humid and warm here. But it WAS January. They all wanted to get that 'winter look.' What would be my advice to these people? It's January. I didn't think shorts, UGG's, and a North Face qualified as winter wardrobe.

I looked around once more. There were palm trees and sandy beaches. There was bright, beaming sunlight and crystal clear, blue skies. Not one cloud obscured the heavens here. Everything was perfect, too perfect. The people, the surroundings; it was too overwhelming.



I closed my eyes and pictured reality. Home. January called for barren trees in the city; slushy snow at your feet and gray skies. The people around you showed you what they always felt, impatience and boredom. I respected these people all the more for not hiding behind Hollywood smiles, botox and layers of MAC cosmetics. These people were hideous! It always looked as if they literally rolled out of bed and got up to walk the streets, shoving me out of their way, in a hurry to get wherever they need to go. Yes, this annoyed me often. Yes, I did curse them out and flip them off, but I did respect them. Thanks for at least being honest about it, dipshits.

Home wasn't perfect, obviously. It was a far cry from it. But home was real. It wasn't a wonderland with perfect climates, perfect people and perfect architecture. It was beautiful the way it was... Dirty, overcrowded and polluted.

I loved the people's witty remarks and sarcasm. I loved not having to drive, just to get to a grocery store. I loved its unique smell. I can't describe it... But it's a smell that's so uniquely New York. It was all real. I adored this place, as I always would...

------------------------------------------

Song that inspired this blog: 'Franklin' - Paramore
"this place we live
it is not where we belong
and i miss who we were
and the town we could call our own"

3 comments:

  1. Hello, just a reminder you should have 35 blog postings in order to be up to date on the course requirement, right now you have 33 blog postings. so your doing a good jid! Also don't forget the class is meeting in the city 12 pm tomorrow March 31st. Have a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You made me picture NYC...Nice work.

    +3

    ReplyDelete