Tuesday, April 20, 2010

The Odd Couple

I was walking down the streets and the pavement. I looked up at the people walking toward me. I loved watching people. I made up imaginary stories in my head about them. I looked to my left and saw a man smoking.

'Wait,' I thought. 'Maybe he's a man-child. He doesn't look a day over seventeen.'

He picked up his lighter, cigarette, and started puffing away. I hated smokers. I couldn't stand the stench, the yellow teeth, and the 'cough.' It annoyed me like no tomorrow.

'It's cancer, you stupid bastard! Put it down!' I mentally berated him for his horrid habit. 'Eh, well.' I shrugged. 'Moving on...'



I looked up to my right and saw a couple holding hands. Now this wasn't your ordinary, every day couple. The differences between them were comical.


The man stood tall and lean with a bronzed complexion and dark, almost black hair. He wore a pin-striped business suit. 'Hmm. Not even the slightest wrinkle in the material,' I continued with my mental musings.


The woman, on the other hand, was petite and blond. Her complexion was extremely fair. I thought for a moment that I'd finally come face-to-face with the real-life version of Snow White. She wore hot pink velour track pants and tied up her hair in what I assumed was a poor resemblance of a bun.



They were as different as day and night. Hell, they were day and night. But, as I continued to observe the unlikely duo, I saw that they were very much the same. They still bore matching shit-eating grins and gave each other awestruck gazes, as if they couldn't believe one was standing right in front of the other one. They both snorted when they laughed and they both equally disgusted me.


I found it amusing because these people made up a living, breathing oxymoron. They were differently alike.

'Hmm, I wonder if that's even grammatically correct.'

Yet, the title fitted them. I rolled my eyes and walked away.




--------------------------------------------------------
Song that inspired this blog: 'My Same' - Adele
"You like to be so close, I like to be alone
I like to sit on chairs and you prefer the floor
Walking with each other, think we'll never match at all,
but we do"

1 comment:

  1. You really have mastered the art of story telling

    +5

    ReplyDelete